Ideas, stories, hints and tips, curated by the team at bemore.

It is actually quite difficult to get a DBS carried out on yourself by your own volition if you do not work for an established institution, such as a school. It's an awkward quirk of the Disclosure and Barring Service. So our goal here is to smooth the path a little for you and make the process just a bit easier.

Step 1: You need a physical application form

Applications must be written on an official application form, a "hard copy". This is because each form is individually numbered so it can be tracked.

These forms are normally obtained by an academic institution. However, for independent teachers, the form will need to be obtained from an 'Umbrella Body'.

We recommend using a company called DBS Services. They offer an efficient, professional and cost-effective service. Their number is 01924 283 236 if you want them to send you an application form. They are very helpful too. Mention bemore, why not?

Step 2: Complete the application form

DBS Services will send you a form by post.

The questions are quite straightforward if you have resided in the UK for a while.

Step 3: Enclose copies of 3 relevant forms of ID

You are also required by the government to provide 3 forms of identification.

IDs Required

Full information on the documents the applicant must provide. Please follow these links and read the official requirements.

Good documents to have:

  • Passport
  • Current driving licence photocard - (full or provisional)
  • Birth certificate - issued within 12 months of birth
  • Marriage Certificate
  • Biometric residence permit
  • Adoption certificate
  • HM Forces ID card
  • Firearms licence
  • Mortgage statement
  • Bank or building society statement
  • Bank or building society account opening confirmation letter
  • Credit card statement
  • Financial statement, for example pension or endowment
  • P45 or P60 statement
  • Council Tax statement
  • Work permit or visa
  • Letter of sponsorship from future employment provider
  • Utility bill
  • Central or local government, government agency, or local council document giving entitlement, for example from the Department for Work and Pensions, the Employment Service, HMRC
  • EU National ID card
  • Cards carrying the PASS accreditation logo
  • Letter from head teacher or college principal

Include Copies, not Originals

One reason we recommend DBS Services is that they do not require the original documents from you. You can just enclose a legible photocopy of the documents. The ID details are then verified by DBS Services using a 3rd party.

Step 4: Pay DBS Services online

Step 5: Post the form and the ID Copies to DBS Services

Their address is:

16 Arden Court
West Yorkshire


DBS Tracking Service (check the status of your application)